Saturday, September 30, 2006

'Mexico is my Paris and my Rome'

This New York Times travelogue sounds like a great trip - the writer followed the trail of a 19th century diarist, whose memoirs inspired portions of Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose, from Veracruz to Michoacan.

That's a fun way to travel - following the footsteps of past writers. In Turkey once, Kathy and I spent a month traveling the western coast tracking the events in Herodotus' Histories. It was one of our best vacations ever, and I'll certainly now never forget my ancient Greek history as a result.

There's so much to see in Mexico, too - much more than most Americans realize. I love the line, "Mexico is my Paris and my Rome" - I couldn't agree more! And unlike the 19th century diarist, I've been to those two cities. I love them both, but I'll take Mexico.

No comments: