Sunday, October 08, 2006

Agua de Horchata ... in Austin!

Kathy just got back with a batch of breakfast tacos from El Chilito on Manor Road, and in addition to the tacos she brought us each home an agua de horchata, a rice-based drink we had frequently in Mexico that I described in this Huevos Rancheros post. Here's a recipe I found for the drink online.

El Chilito's version was a little sweeter and heavier on the vanilla than the agua de horchata we had in Mexico, but tasty, still.

It's really cool to me that so many dishes from the Mexican interior are becoming available now in Texas - one of the many benefits, IMO, to the current immigration boom.

2 comments:

MLB said...

Scott, sorry we missed your party on Friday. Congrats on becoming a grandpa. I came here to see photos, but since there are none, I will be back.

Also, we will have to try El Chilito's tacos. Ian and I are on the hunt for the best little place.

Take care,
Morgan

Gritsforbreakfast said...

Ah, also Mi Madre's down the street is excellent - not quite as fancified as El Chilitos, and no agua de horchata, but family-run and a little cheaper.

I'm going to try to get up photos today of Tytionna - Kathy needs to send them to me.

I really like your Phlog, BTW - I linked it under the "Friends" list on Grits. Thanks for coming by!