Monday, January 12, 2015

Why Thomas Jefferson ditched his newspaper subscriptions in favor of Newton, Euclid, Tacitus and Thucydides

I don't use Twitter for my own commentary but maintain an account with which to follow others. One feed I enjoy immensely is "On This Day in Math," which today brought us this tidbit: "1812 Thomas Jefferson writes [to] John Adams 'I have given up newspapers in exchange for Tacitus and Thucydides, for Newton and Euclid;...'" Oh, to be afforded such a luxury! For now, though, your correspondent regrettably must remain ensconced in daily affairs.

Still, to honor TJ's late-in-life liberation from what must have been a life-long newspaper addiction, those of you who have too long neglected your Newton and Euclid ought to add to their new year's resolutions spending spare time watching Vi Hart videos (and rewatching them, perhaps with assistance from Sal Khan, till you thoroughly understand them). I had occasion over the summer to spend time re-upping my basic geometry and trig skills and looking at the material as an adult with an eye toward utility on my own projects. That turned out to be an entirely different and far more productive experience than slogging through geometry and trig texts in high school.

3 comments:

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello Miss, Sir
You are in despair because you lack the financial means to reach your dreams. And even worse, your bank refuses you a loan and all this makes you feel suicidal. You see your damn life. You feel blocked and you can not move because of lack of financial means. And yes! I come to give you joy in my heart by this testimony. Offered it is not a simple testimony and to be more precise, I speak to you of my lived experience. A great lady has given me this joy and it is my turn to let you know that my joy is shared. Alice Gibson
I was able to make a loan of a large sum that I prefer to keep for myself. This loan is made between private and the big lady who allowed me to have this loan is named Mrs. JANIQUE LOUISE ANNICK CHANTRENS and the private address of this great lady is: chantrensjanique@gmail.com
I advise you to contact her, talk about your problems and ask for a loan between individuals. I assure you and I guarantee you that this great lady will give you the joy of the heart.
Cordially.

HARRYSTEVEN said...


Attention:

We at Harry Steven Loan Finance we offers loans at 2% interest rates to all our clients around the whole world, we are 100% guaranteed loan company that can deliver what we promise to our clients. With the track record that we have we can ensure you get the best of our service, we are proud to say that we help hundreds of thousands of people out that can't get help anywhere in the country, we can proudly say that we extended our business and it is as follows:

We do Business Finance (Business Loan) for up to $9,000,000.00 and Above
We do Consolidation Loan up to 5,000,000.00 even if you are blacklisted or under debt review
We do home loans even if you are blacklisted or under debt review
We do personal loans for up to $87,000.00 even if you are blacklisted or under debt review
We do Car finance even if you are blacklisted or under debt review
We do 2nd Bonds, Home Improvement and consolidation loans
We do Wedding Finance loan well as well.
We offer the above kinds of loans all at 2% interest

That’s why we are proud to say we are the best and the only company that can assist and will help you. I hope and believe that you will find us and our company and our work to your satisfaction. Have you being declined because of your credit history contact us today for your speedy loan Approval and transfer, You can Apply today irrespective of your location or race so far you meet our criteria, Contact us today via email: ( harrystevenloanfirm@yahoo.com OR harrystevenloanfirm@gmail.com )